Construction Update June 21, 2019rsevers
- Closed – MLK east bound crosswalk over Congress Avenue (in front of Bullock Museum)
- Closed – The eastern crosswalk over MLK at Congress (now the Construction Zone exit)
- Closed – East bound sidewalk along MLK from Congress to San Jacinto
- Closed – West side sidewalk along Brazos from MLK to 18th Street
- Closed – West side crosswalk over MLK at Brazos
- Closed – West side crosswalk over MLK at San Jacinto
- To cross MLK – Use the eastern crosswalk at Brazos and MLK or the eastern crosswalk at San Jacinto and MLK
- Please do not walk in the bike lanes or the street
See the Safe Sidewalk Routes Map on wayfinding signboards at most intersections for best options.
Lane closures for utility work will continue through July.
- Closed – No through access on Brazos between 16th and 17th Streets.
- Closed – East bound lane of MLK from Lavaca to San Jacinto is closed for utility work. The bike lane is also closed. “Share the Road” and watch out for bikes.
- Closed – South bound lane of San Jacinto from MLK to 18th Street. The sidewalk and bike lane are also closed. (This is not a TFC project.)
- 1801 Congress (site across from the Bullock Museum) – The foundation contractor has begun drilling piers for the structure of the new building.
- 1601 Congress – Drilling and excavation will continue through mid-September.
- Colorado – Utility work will cause lane closures between 16th and 17th Streets. Watch out for crews working on the new traffic signal that will be installed at Colorado and MLK.
- San Jacinto – The ERS construction site is now very active. Commercial vehicles will enter traveling south on San Jacinto at MLK. Trucks will exit south bound on San Jacinto at 18th Street. About 80 trucks a day will be using this temporary exit. (This is not a TFC project.)
- Guadalupe and MLK – Watch out for construction on the south side of this intersection. Capitol Metro and the City of Austin are building a contra-flow bus lane at that corner. Read about this project here.
Important Safety Reminders:
San Jacinto cross walks – Slow down for pedestrians in the crosswalks along San Jacinto from MLK to 15th Street. Traffic pylons have been added as a safety reminder.
DO NOT walk in the bike lanes on MLK between Brazos and Congress. Bike lanes are reserved for bikes. Watch out for cyclists in the bike lanes and around the Complex.
Go Slow – Use slower speeds around the Capitol Complex and especially near construction entrances and exits.
DO NOT ENTER THE CONSTRUCTION ZONE. Please respect the flagmen as they direct construction traffic in and out of the work area.
Use the Safe Sidewalks – Follow the “yellow brick road” sidewalk routes. Look for updated wayfinding signs throughout the Capitol Complex. The signs include the Safe Sidewalk Routes Map and directions for travel around the Complex. (Download a map here.)
Thank you for your patience and courtesy during the construction project.